Saturday, July 30, 2011

Canola Oil

At the CIA I learned that Canola Oil was one of the healthier oils to use... but I recently learned, through the University of Bridgeport, that Canola oil is a genetically engineered oil produced from Rapeseed [obviously the plant needed some PR help]. So from now on I will be promoting the use of Grapeseed [not rapeseed, not canola, GRAPEseed] oil in place of canola in recipes that call for vegetable/corn/or canola oils. This applies to everything from making your own aioli to cornbread to boxed cake mixes at the store. Grapeseed is a mild flavored oil with a high smoking point, which makes it great for saute and stir-fry [it won't burn as quickly].

That's all for now. I just needed to share that with everyone because previously I had been promoting the use of canola and now I am appalled!!

No comments:

Post a Comment