Its amazing how using a whole grain flour in place of that All-Purpose bleached junk can really fill you up. Anywho- let's dig in, shall we??
Who wants pancakes?!
Banana-Spelt Pancakes are totally the breakfast of champions. Feel free to add 1 Tbsp of ground flax seed to the dry ingredients to really amp up the nutritional value of this breakfast delight.
You will need:
3/4 Cup Spelt Flour
1.75 tsp Baking Powder
Pinch of Kosher Salt
1 tsp Sugar [or substitute 1/2 tsp Agave Nectar & mix it with the wet ingredients]
1/2 Cup reduced fat Milk
1 Large Egg
1 medium, ripe Banana. sliced.
Butter, or cooking spray, as needed
1. Preheat a large griddle pan or non-stick pan on medium-high heat.
2. Combine the dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl.
3. Mix the egg, milk and Agave [if using in place if sugar], and then whisk into the dry ingredients.
4. Grease the heated pan, using cooking spray or a pat of butter. Ladle or pour about 1/2 Cup of batter per pancake onto the pan; quickly place 5-7 pieces of banana onto each pancake.
5. Once the edges of the pancake are set and bubbles are forming on the surface of the pancake [about 2-3 minutes], they should be ready to be flipped.
6. Flip the pancakes and allow to finish cooking [about 1.5 to 2 more minutes], add a touch more butter if necessary.
7. Remove from pan, transfer to plate, and serve with REAL Maple Syrup!