Saturday, September 3, 2011

Better for you flap-jacks

Who says you can't have your [pan]cake and eat it too?


Oat flour takes the place of all-purpose to provide a fiberful, whole grain breakfast alternative for those of us who would like to indulge but hate to waste the calories. Finally, a sweet & satisfying breakfast that will leave you feeling full for hours without feeling like you've started your day on the wrong foot.

Ingredients:
1.25 Cups Oat Flour
2 Tbsp ground Flax Seed
2.5 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 Tbsp Sugar [or 1 tsp Honey. If using honey, incorporate with the wet ingredients first.]
1 Cup 1% Milk
1 large Egg, lightly beaten
1 Tbsp melted, salted Butter

Butter, for cooking. [you may use pan spray or grapeseed oil, or whichever medium you prefer, I just think the best pancakes are cooked in butter].

Process:
1. Combine all of the dry ingredients in a medium sized mixing bowl [it is important to whisk the dry ingredients together before adding the wet; this will ensure that there are no large clumps of anything.  I will never forget the pancakes my mother made for us one morning... I took a bite and ended up with a nice pocket of baking powder in my mouth. Aside for that incident, the rest of my breakfast was delicious.]
2. Stir the wet ingredients into the oat flour, baking powder, sugar, and flax until combined.
3. Heat a non-stick pan on medium-high heat.
4. Once the pan is hot, melt 1 Tbsp of butter. It should sizzle once it hits the pan.
5. Pour batter into desired size pancakes [I measure mine by the ladle-ful]. Lower the heat just a little bit.
6. When the edges of the pancake look mostly cooked and the batter has set they are ready to flip [about   
2.5 - 3 minutes]. Add a touch more butter if necessary.
7. Cook for another 1-2 minutes and serve with real maple syrup or your desired topping, but pleeease
do not top these delicious, healthy pancakes with anything containing high-fructose corn syrup;
respect your family, your waist-line, and your breakfast and boycott that crap!

2 comments:

  1. YESSSSSSSSS! Pancakes are my favorite breakfast food, but I stay away from wheat flours cause it knocks me on my arse. I bet the oat floor has awesome flavor to boot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome flavor and it will keep you full for hours, as opposed to the 30 minutes of regret, followed by "why am I looking in the fridge?" aftermath of regular pancakes. You can eat these pancakes with preserves or sauteed apples too... very, very yummy.

    ReplyDelete